Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Even Durable Enough for Kids

Written by my friend Colleen Berstely


We recently remodeled our kitchen and let me tell you, I swore it was going to be a nightmare. With my fiancĂ© getting ready to attend the Police Academy, guess who got to do most of the work on our kitchen remodel? I mean, aside from his usual thing, you know I can’t really install cabinets and all that.

On the other hand, that meant that I got to do most of the shopping with him out and about throughout the week. I believe in being earth-friendly and will try anything once, so I decided to go with recycled paper countertops. They gave a finished feel to the kitchen with new bamboo cabinets and cork flooring. All of these materials are extremely durable, which works out great because we have two kids under the age of five. I had to think about them every step of the way.

For something different, I chose to do the backsplash of the kitchen in recycled glass tile. I know it’s not conventional, which I also love, but glass tile like this has a lot of colors to choose from. I even let the kids help out; they loved it. In the end, the kitchen turned out beautifully, I got to go to the hardware store without my fiancĂ© who would have spent tons more money and all the materials we chose helped the environment.

No comments: